Monday, February 5, 2018

Notes for a Caretaker's Cottage

There's a meeting scheduled later today. The focus: A Caretaker's Cottage on the Prairie Front/South Whidbey Tilth Land. I will probably be unable to be at the meeting because of my sensitivities, but would like to offer these thoughts.

(An audio file of these "Notes for a Caretaker's Cottage" is also available. Pete will bring it to the meeting on a zip drive).


Ask the Land what she thinks.
Ceremony reminds us to remember.

E Ho Mai
Grant to me
E Ho Mai
Grant to me
E Ho Mai e
Grant to me
E Ho Mai
Grant to me
Ka 'ike mai luna mai e
The meaning here
O Na Mea Huna No'eau
The hidden meanings
O Na Mele e
In this music, this chant
E Ho Mai
Grant to me
E Ho Mai
Grant to me
E Ho Mai e
Grant to me
(Repeat twice more)

Then listen
Say "Thank you," and leave gifts.

Here are a few things the Land has told me.
Build the dear cottage off the ground; when it rains its feet will get soggy.
Take a lesson from Cedar; give it broad hips and a brimmed hat.
Keep in mind what exists already; let them be of use before you build more.
A Caretaker is one who is intimate with the land, sky, wind, and observant of those who come and go.
A busy road where fumes and noise are prevalent warrant mindful attention.
Choose building materials and methods that are kind.

Questions? I'll be close-by and glad to clarify.

Aloha,
Mokihana









No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you observe in your place.

First Frost

Magic was alive this morning when I stepped out the door just after 8 am. Fog was settling into a crisp morning with a sky clear with stars...